* Please note that we are not currently accepting applications. The Centre for Visual Studies is closed, due to COVID-19 preventative measures. *
The Centre for Visual Studies can offer a base within the University to postdoctoral scholars whose work fits the mission of the Centre and Department, and who have a strong reason to utilise Oxford's exceptional and diverse resources during a research visit.
Applicants must secure independent funding for accommodation and living expenses for the period of their proposed visit, and are asked to pay a termly charge, currently £250 per term, as a contribution towards the cost of running the Department's visitor facilities. Please note that we unable to assist with finding accommodation in Oxford, college association, arranging travel or visa arrangements. We also are unable to provide visitors with an office, but hot-desking is available.
Subject to availability - currently we offer up to 4 places per academic year - visits are normally between a term and one academic year. Visiting scholars are expected to contribute to the intellectual and social life of the Department during their visit.
Enquiries in the first instance should be made through an academic member of staff from the Department, who would act as sponsor (and mentor for successful applicants). Formal letters of application should be addressed to the Head of Department, alongside a completed Visitors Application Form.
- Statement/proposal of intended activities, including rationale for association with the Department
- Evidence of outside funding
- Academic reference
- Date and duration of proposed visit (please note this would need to be a term or terms during the academic year - i.e. Michaelmas, Hilary or Trinity term - we do not accept academic visitors out of term time or over the summer closure)
- A completed Visitors Application Form
Conditions for acceptance:
- Relevancy of the proposed activities to those of the Department.
- Availability of appropriate academic sponsor/mentor within the Department of History of Art.
- Availability of resources for proposed duration of visit.